Monday, September 14, 2009

Plagiarism

I see something beautiful, something good, and I want to adopt it as my own. I want to grasp it and weave it into my own identity, even if I must rearrange the good and beauty I already have.
I see us all – myself especially – striving so desperately to avoid cliché, yet sometimes it is true of you and you can’t. It may be cliché for the simple fact that it is such a widely recognized truth that too many people have identified with, or an artistry which has transcended the subjective eyes of too many beholders.
Why the urge for definition? Why do I want to create something that is beautiful but most importantly, unique and different from the other beauties I see? I desire a winsome color and symmetry in my own being; a depth of goodness, an iridescence and luminosity - but I want it to be rare and unique. Understood by someone - but I want it to originate in me and remain uncommon to the world surrounding. Why is this?
Many answers rise to the surface of my thoughts.

I must always be who God wants me to be, even here in this arena - I must not try to define my personality, to shape it differently from what it is into what I want it to be, just because I like how He designed another's better.

No comments: