Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Conversation with a Lady

Have you ever really listened to someone's voice and wondered why it is they choose to change tone, pitch, volume when they do? Maybe they don't realize they are doing it, perhaps we don't realize we do it, but I think it is because everyone has a music.

By the way, did you all know I admire Abigail Adam's very sincerely? I do. She was a woman to emulate, and she makes me laugh. "Well, knowledge is a fine thing, and mother Eve thought so; but she smarted so severely for hers, that most of her daughters have been afraid of it since."
Oh, silly daughters. Perhaps that is not funny, but it struck me that way and I laughed. However,
"If we mean to have heroes, statesmen and philosophers, we should have learned women."
Yes, I am realizing that it is not radically feminist or Amazonian to affirm that we have worth, wisdom and leadership to give the world.
"Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and diligence."
Ardor and diligence can be so much to take though, Mrs. Adams. I want to float down a stream and nap on a river bank and read in a tree. I don't want to do things all the time. There is a season for everything and sabbath is a blessing.
Yes, true but do not let that obscure the fact that "Wisdom and penetration are the fruit of experience, not the lessons of retirement and leisure. Great necessities call out great virtues."
There are great necessities in the world, so I will keep working.

No comments: