Wednesday, October 13, 2010

(Suzanne Valadon,)



A book of her work is open on my desk - I haven't had time to read anything about her but I look at what she paints, and so I hear some of what she says already.

Although, aha, I should point out that this painting is not actually Valadon's. This is Maurice Utrillo, and I connected the two only because I found his piece when searching for hers....
...not very clearly laid out, there.
Today is a day of non-sequiturs, even though this does actually follow logically. I do know that Utrillo was the son of Suzanne Valadon, illegitimate and disposed to alcoholism before the age of thirteen by way of his mother's choices and his grandmothers attempts sweeping up after her. She loved him and encouraged artistry however, and even though I've read that he developed his own style, I am fascinated by the relationship to his mother's. Unique, I think, to come across mother and son painters...

No comments: