Monday, November 03, 2008

Eliza and Freddy

Pandora while I research India-Pakistan relations.

"I have often walked down this street before;
But the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before.
All at once am I Several stories high.
Knowing I'm on the street where you live..."



I wish it would rain. I love the grey sky, the moving clouds, but the illusion of cold - cold that promises hot drinks, lit fireplaces, thick scarves - is sad, because it is only an illusion. No need for scarves or the wonderful leather boots.


'...Are there lilac trees in the heart of town?
Can you hear a lark in any other part of town?
Does enchantment pour Out of ev'ry door?
No, it's just on the street where you live!'



I want to curl up on my bed and fall asleep. I did not get enough last night, though that was entirely my fault.


'...And oh! The towering feeling
Just to know somehow you are near.
The overpowering feeling
That any second you may suddenly appear!



Julie Andrews was Eliza Doolittle on Broadway, one of the most spectacular hits in its history, but when My Fair Lady was translated on to the screen, she lost her role to Audrey Hepburn. There is such a world of difference between the two of them in my mind; I think of Sound of Music and Sabrina and can't imagine either of them playing the same role as the other.

Grace Kelly made me laugh: "Emancipation of women has made them lose their mystery."


'...People stop and stare. They don't bother me.
For there's no where else on earth that I would rather be.
Let the time go by, I won't care if I
Can be here on the street where you live.'



I always liked Freddy better than Rex Harrison.

No comments: